Displaying shelves can be provided as modules (standard product) or can be customized according to interior designer’s requirements which in this case have endless shapes according to designer view. In large super markets, interior furniture should be designed by a specialist. Several factors are considered by an interior designer when preparing a super market design such as; optimum utilization of available spaces to include maximum quantity of products, easy handling of products either by customer or market staff, logic arrangement of different departments (e.g. keeping frozen & chilled products near end of the market to avoid melting or warming of product during long shopping, keeping strong smell or dangerous non food products (like soaps, detergents, insecticides) far enough from food products), allowing good smell of some products to flow inside the market (such as bakery & pastry products), displaying products as to allow obvious vision, proper lighting according to different products (see Related electrical & mechanical systems for more information about food lighting), allowing easy flow of shopping trolleys, etc. In addition, displaying of products is a type of art, decorative and attractive look displaying system is one of the most essential factors which designer has to bare in mind, displaying should enjoy customer eye, so customer may not get bored easily.
The following are some display shelving selection factors supported with pictures for some shelving unit types, depending on “Wanzl” – UK. www.wanzl.com
- Materials; should be approved by international or local authority for food displaying, wood, aluminum, chrome plated steel, glass, are commonly used for shelving units with wired or solid shelves, etc.
- Internal layout should be designed by a specialest where it’s a type of art, also for proper utilization of all available areas.
- Modular type (for continuous shelving, Fig.18.104.22.168) or single units (Fig.22.214.171.124).
- Stationary or mobile type.
- Dimensions in mm
- Adjustable shelf level.
Fig.126.96.36.199 Single displaying units – WANZL – GERMANY
- Horizontal or slopped shelving (slopped shelves allow larger view, but are not suitable for product stacking).
- Should allow air circulation around products.
- With or without protective rail (near floor level to protect against trolley shocks).
- With or without price tag holder and/or display boards.
- Special products displaying units (e.g. vegetables & fruits, bakery).
- See next pictures for different shapes and types.
Fig.188.8.131.52 Vegetable & fruits displaying system – WANZL – UK