Ice cube makers & ice flakers belong to refrigeration equipment’s family, commonly used in coffee shops, restaurant, open buffet restaurants, sea food restaurants, fish markets, sausage processing, hotels, hospitals, etc. See Fig.9.15.2. Ice makers are usually combined with storage bin (Fig.9.15.2) which hold ice and prevent melting until ice is used and cover peak demands.
Fig.9.14.1 Some produced ice shapes – ITV – SPAIN
Fig.9.14.2 Ice cube maker with storage bin – ITV – SPAIN
Fig.9.14.3 Storage bin – ITV – SPAIN
Production rate is the quantity of ice in kg which ice maker can produce in 24 hours, similar to water cooler and any refrigeration machine, rates shown in manufacturer catalog are nominal, i.e. are measured at certain conditions and any change in these condition affect production rate, these conditions are:
– Produced ice temperature (lower ice temperature gives lower production rates).
– Inlet water temperature ºC; If inlet water temperature is increased, outlet ice production will be decreased.
– Ambient temperature; Which is cooling cooler condenser (for air cooled condenser types), if ambient temperature is increased, the production rate will be decreased and vise-versa
Manufacturers have de-rating tables through which you can calculate the actual production rate depending upon actual working conditions.
- Materials (fully stainless steel or stainless steel water & ice contact parts, polyester reinforced with fiberglass storage bin)
- Does it efficiently work local ambient temperature (especially for hot climate areas)? (like any refrigeration equipment, some ice makers can not be operated at high ambient temperature even with lower recovery rate).
- Required ice shape, see Fig.9.14.1
- Water or air cooled condenser, see Cold storage equipments.
- Required daily rate in kg/24 hrs. (at which conditions? – see above).
- Storage bin capacity in kg (see manufacturer combinations).
- With or without self cleaning system? (Self cleaning system is automatic internal water flushing by pump to collect residual water & dirt’s to drain network after cycle completing).
- With or without nozzle cleaning system (is automatic system to flush nozzles with fresh water to prevent lime build up in nozzles).
- See next example.
As shown in fig.9.14.2, Ice cube maker with the following features; fully stainless steel construction, automatic spray nozzle cleaning system and semi-elastic nozzles to expand with water pressure to prevent lime build up
Inside nozzles, air cooled condenser (available as water cooled), suitable for tropical weathers, daily ice production 150 kg (at 20 ºC ambient air temperature & 15 ºC inlet water temperature), bin storage capacity 75 kg, ¾” water supply connection, refrigerant R 404, compressor power 1⅜ HP, actual total power consumption 1.5 KW, 96 kg weight, dims 860 x 770 x 1050 mm height, series Delta – model (Delta NG 150), manufactured by “ITV” – Spain. itvice.com
ITV is manufacturing split ice flakers with daily production up to 20,000 kg (Fig.9.14.4)
Fig.9.14.9 Split ice machines – ITV – SPAIN